Solex 30-FV carby

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Solex 30-FV carby

Post by cobbadog » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:21 am

Our 30C Cropmaster has this Solex 30 C-FV model carby on it. I thought that maybe it was sucking air in through the main shaft so I have removed the carby and then stripped down the throttle body. To my amazement the shaft runs on needle rollers and has tiny little seals at each end of the shaft. My questions are;
1 - Is there a kit available that has new needle rollers in it and how many needles should be in each side? Mine has only 10 needles each side but has room for approximately 4 more each side.
2 - Can you buy new seals for the main shaft? If not what else can be used? I have thought of using 'O' rings but not sure if this would work.
Thanks in advance for any info and help.
P.S. I have tried one company to purchase a carby gasket kit here in Australia but they only come up with a Solex kit that suit a VW,,,, not sure if it is similar.
Cheers
John

cobbadog

RE: Solex 30-FV carby

Post by cobbadog » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:34 am

I have managed to get all needle rollers in place and I have used an 'O' ring in place of the hard dries up seals all with a slight improvement. I think I will source new 'O' rings that are a bit thicker and that should be all I can do for now.
Still not sure about a gasket kit if anyone can guide me to a kit number or a supplier here in Australia if possible.

cjacko1

Solex 30-FV carby

Post by cjacko1 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:18 am

Hi John,
I too are after this carburettor kits as well. Have done nothing but ring around all day only to be told there is nothing available in Australia .

Cindy

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:47 am

Hi Cindy, I found the same problem as you, no kits available here in Oz. Having said that I ended up making my gaskets but the main problem I found with my carby was that all the flat surfaces were distort and did not seal against each other. So I sat down with some wet n dry paper, soapy water and a small thick piece of glass and rubbed all the mating surfaces until they were flat. This did take a bit of time but the end result was perfect. If you do make gaskets for the carby I made them for each surface and then found that it altered the float adjustment. Simple solution was to put a fibre washer under the needle and seat and it was fixed. Something that may help when re-surfacing the carby is a flat belt linisher or belt sander that can have a very fine belt put on and is wide enough to sit the part onto with no over hang then finish with the wet n dry.

db2d

Post by db2d » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:23 am

There are only two gaskets for the carburettor. One between the manifold and the throttle chamber and the other between the throttle chamber and the carburettor body. There is not a gasket between the two halves of the carburettor body and no advantage will be gained by making and fitting one.
The only place that I know of that have carburettor kits is davidbrownparts.com

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:35 am

s the seals on the main shaft. No felt was available at the time and they were handy. So far they are working a treat. This is the first carby I have seen with needle rollers on the main shaft and not the usual bronze type bushes. Thanks for your advise and help.

erkki

Post by erkki » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:33 am

A history tells that the needle rollers were assemblied to the shaft in order to make the governors function more sensitive. Original bronze bearing tended to pull some dust in, which caused sticky movements and bad running of the engine. So there are two important things: the roller bearing must be agile and the seal has to work without too much friction.

W.B.R erkki
Last edited by erkki on Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:41 am

Great information there erkki. I just thought that DB did an overkill on design,,,,again!

db2d

Post by db2d » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:00 am

The throttle chamber was strengthened and upgraded in an effort to reduce warping. A fibre distance piece approximately half an inch thick was used between the manifold flange and the throttle chamber to reduce heat transfer and also insulating washers on the carburettor to manifold studs for the same purpose.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:00 am

Some of the early car engines out here did the same but for a different reason, to minimise heat and fuel vaporisation during the hot Summer.

stew83

Post by stew83 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:30 am

Interesting post, I too have the same problem with my 1949 cropmaster. The throttle shaft and the needle bearings are badly worn and this in turn causes a lot of air to get pulled in affecting the fuel air mixture. Someone ha suggested to me to do away with the needle bearings and make up bushes to suit but not sure at this stage. Is the carburetor the same on the 30c as would be fitted to my cropmaster ? As I do know where there are a couple if 30c tractors that are being broken for parts that might have a better crab than mine.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:07 am

I'm not too sure if they are exactly the same but you might be able to adapt/bolt on a good carby base to your body. A good shaft maybe able to be found and used. When I did mine up the way I did it, I did not have any felt available to make new seals for the main shaft so I just used the 'o' rings and so far they are working a treat. I now do have some felt if I need to use it. When you take your original carby apart take note of all the jet sizes and then compare them to any other carby you might decide to use. Then if they bolt up, go for it. It is a good feeling when you spend time on something and it works out right. Being able to tune the air mixture and notice a difference when turning it is something that never used to happen in the past.

db2d

Post by db2d » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:13 am

The carburettors on the Cropmaster and 25/30C are the same except for the jet size. The throttle linkage connections can be changed easily from one side of the throttle chamber to the other. The jets are interchangeable. A warped throttle chamber flange is the biggest problem with these carburettors.
The Cropmaster and the 25C have the same size jets and the Super Cropmaster / 30C have the larger ones.