The need for an operators handbook.

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

The need for an operators handbook.

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:53 am

It seems that a lot of contributors on the Forum spend a lot of time typing lengthy replies to questions relating to general service and maintenance of the David Brown tractor and these replies are very often repeats of questions asked time and time again. With the greatest respect we don't expect everyone that has an issue in these areas to search for previous posts that have covered these, especially new posters. The point of this topic I'm posting is just to make others aware that most of what is repeatedly asked and answered concerning general service and maintenance tasks are covered in the operators handbook for the tractor and to advise those of you that do not posess a handbook for their tractor(s) to invest in obtaining one. There are many constantly available on internet auction sites, found at shows and rallies and shows and also not forgetting the Club Shop now also can supply them for a number of various models.

This is a public awareness statement. :wink:

bonserdb

RE: The need for an operators handbook.

Post by bonserdb » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:49 am

Hang about a second. If no one was to write any "fresh " posts the forim would be like a ghost town. Ok yes a lot of stuff is repeated time and time again but what does it matter? Besides not being disrespectful but its you that replies to most of the posts put up anyway....

Matt
proud owner of a beloved bonser90d, 880 selectamatic and 1490 2wd synchro, and the mighty 1594!

6-POT-PHIL
Location: Huddersfield, W Yorks. (Home of David Brown Tractors)

Re: RE: The need for an operators handbook.

Post by 6-POT-PHIL » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:52 am

bonserdb wrote: Besides not being disrespectful but its you that replies to most of the posts put up anyway....

Matt
Have to agree with you on that one Matt :lol:

Phil :)
1961 850 Implematic Ex DB test tractor (now sold)
1960 950 Implematic
1970 990 12 speed Selectamatic
1976 996 Loader tractor
1987 'E' 1594 4WD Hydra-Shift
1985 'C' 1694 4WD Hydra-Shift
ImageImage

Six in line sounds mighty fine!!

bedwards1966

RE: Re: RE: The need for an operators handbook.

Post by bedwards1966 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:13 pm

As it's Powerrabbit that answers most of the questions he's probably reached a point where it's too much for him, but he can't leave or the forum would die!

As to buying the manuals, yes people should do that, but it probably doesn't occur to everyone to do so, plus some people are too tight or skint to manage, and also after buying one they may need information before it's arrived - if I bought a new tractor today and had questions I'd rather ask them here the same day and play with the new toy without delay, while waiting for the manual to arrive!

Perhaps the solution to avoid people typing lengthy relies to help people with problems that come up fairly often (hydraulics, engines not starting, charging system faults and so on) is to keep a link to suitable topics handy, so when someone asks a question you can easily post the link. If that doesn't solve it then go from there, but in most cases it should do the job at at the very least save a lot of typing. Too many posts to be made into stickies, but either in their own 'common questions' forum, or just with the links saved would be fine.

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:00 pm

I can see that there is going to be some good discussion on this topic. I'm not complaining about repeating answers, far from it, just thought that those that require service and maintenance guidance at any time, that they would benefit by having a handbook and making everyone aware that the books are available. You've all brought up some good points, and of course we will keep replying to these qwuestions and all the others, that's what we're here for and the main purpose of the Forum.

Alex573

Post by Alex573 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:53 pm

When I started with my DB I got a couple of manuals which I have found incredibly useful. However I do find sometimes there are things that are missed or things that it's probably just expected that you know. Asking questions on here was what really really helped. The fast and informative replays from guys like powerrabbit and everyone else are amazing especially for someone like me who started with no knowladge of tractors at all.

A couple of suggestions I would make, and I have no idea how viable these are and I am in no way criticising what is in place already but... I find the search function could maybe be tightened up. I find the returns aren't always as relavent to what I asked for and so ask a new question anyway.

This one isn't related to already asked questions and I really don't know if it's possible but how about a function for uploading pictures streight from your phone? At the moment they have to be on a pc so you can browse the files. Maybe something like Facebook where you can just upload would be a good addition.

This said I think the DBTC forum is a fantastic resource, and I would like to thank everyone who runs and contributes. With the knowladge I know have I hope to be able to offer advice and repay the help I've had.

Alex : )