Help need with David Brown 1200

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

Please note the Forum Site is not managed by David Brown Tractor Club Ltd only hosted

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email callysmith95@outlook,com giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderator: admin

richbug

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Help need with David Brown 1200

Post by richbug » Sat May 26, 2012 1:00 am

dbnewbieoh wrote:
The engine oil dipstick doesn't twist or is held in by anything ?
Heavy steel one with a loop on the end that just goes into a 3/8" or so hole? yeah, just drops in.

Aluminum top that goes into a 1.5" hole? Should positively snap into place, held by an O-ring.
Users: 780, 1210 Bottle Opener, 1494 4wd open station with 74L, 990, 1394, 1194 High Clearance, another 1394, 1194 LCG, 1290 with 56L, 900, 885 with LS8, 885, 1190

1200, 900 projects, 780,

Parts: 3800, 1200, 1394, 1412, 1490, 770, 885, 990SEL, Red 990I,

dj

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Help need with David Brown 1200

Post by dj » Sat May 26, 2012 9:20 am

Sorry , may have misread your previous posts.

Just to recap then:
The red and green lights illuminate on switching on the ignition.

Do they stay on when the engine is running, or do they go out?

wheeler

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Help need with David Brown 1200

Post by wheeler » Sat May 26, 2012 12:02 pm

dj wrote:First things first.
Is there any oil showing on the dipsticks?
There's one dipstick on this nearside of the engine for engine oil level which is most relevant for your oil pressure.
(Nearside- as in the side of the tractor closest to the kerb when driving on the correct side of the road in the UK. Other countries may drive on the other side/both sides or even middle of the road, in which case "Nearside" is defined differently).

There's also a smaller dipstick, forward, and to the left of the left hand gear stick.
That tells you how much oil there is in the gearbox/transmission/hydraulic system.

Check both.
(The "rear" here in the states has the larger tires. Maybe different in "UK". ) :roll: :P :lol:

dbnewbieoh

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Help need with David Brown 1200

Post by dbnewbieoh » Sun May 27, 2012 12:23 am

Ok I checked today and I only have 2 lights in the dash. A red and a green light. The 3rd hole has a white rubber plug in it. It looks original so they must not have put a gear light on here. Sound right ?

Thanks !

mitch

Post by mitch » Sun May 27, 2012 6:03 am

Does the green one go out once started? I would set up an oil pressure guage, easy to do and clarifies pressure question. It never had a trans oil filter light it seems. You can be sure that that filter is completely ************, easy to replace though. It lives in the big 'hat' shaped covering located directly under drivers seat.
non-Q 1975 1210 2wd
model# 1210/1 728931
engine# AD4/55A 26193

1975 1412 2wd
model# 1412/1 1050623
engine# 455011 120673

Post by Guest » Sun May 27, 2012 8:41 am

The red light is 'on' when you turn the key to the first position. On starting the tractor this light should go out, if it stays on then your dynamo/alternator is not charging, at very low revs it may just flicker or glow very dimly, this is normal. The green engine oil pressure light should go out within a few seconds of starting the engine, if it remains lit the engine oil is either very low, the switch connection spade on the wire or on the switch itself may be loose or the oil pump needs attention, in either of these cases, start with the connections to ascertain where the problem is. If the light glows or comes on at low revs or when working the tractor it indicates low engine oil level, always maintain the engine oil level half way between the two scribed lines on the dipstick between 'full' and 'low'.

jimc1390

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Help need with David Brown 1

Post by jimc1390 » Sun May 27, 2012 4:12 pm

Powerrabbit wrote: the switch connection spade on the wire or on the switch itself may be loose .
the light relies on the switch to create the earth so it cant be a loose wire although it maybe chaffed and earthing somewhere along the line and earthing which will light it, the thread is 1/8 bsp i think, grease gun flexi hose is the same thread i have a guage on the end of one of those, its worth just checking your oil and know what its producing
db 990 selectamatic
case ih 1594 com ed
db 1390 gd90 loader

richbug

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Help need with David Brown 1

Post by richbug » Sun May 27, 2012 5:15 pm

jimc1390 wrote:
Powerrabbit wrote: the switch connection spade on the wire or on the switch itself may be loose .
the light relies on the switch to create the earth so it cant be a loose wire although it maybe chaffed and earthing somewhere along the line and earthing which will light it, the thread is 1/8 bsp i think, grease gun flexi hose is the same thread i have a guage on the end of one of those, its worth just checking your oil and know what its producing
FWIW, grease guns here have 1/8"NPT which is 27 threads per inch. Your BSP is 28 Threads.... Like I said, our NPT will go into a BSP about 3-4 threads before it jams up. Good enough for government work... The BSP threads scattered about a DB are enough to drive me crazy. At least none of mine have Whitworth that I have found.
Users: 780, 1210 Bottle Opener, 1494 4wd open station with 74L, 990, 1394, 1194 High Clearance, another 1394, 1194 LCG, 1290 with 56L, 900, 885 with LS8, 885, 1190

1200, 900 projects, 780,

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Help need with David Bro

Post by Guest » Sun May 27, 2012 6:40 pm

The oil pressure switch is self earthing and if the spade connection is loose or corroded then the circuit will be broken hence no warning light, the bulb is earthed from the bulb holder and this earth is connected through the other dash lights via the voltage regulator then to earth usually on the fuel tank stand frame. If you care to take a look at the wiring diagram posted elsewhere on the forum and study it to enable you to trace the fault. Is the bulb working?

dj

Post by dj » Sun May 27, 2012 8:45 pm

As cambs1594 says, oil pressure lamps are not earthed. They are plastic mounted in the instrument panel. Live feed to the bulb holder is a white wire from the ignition switch. The other terminal on the bulb holder is connected to a White/Brown wire which connects to the oil pressure switch. That switch screws into the engine block, and that is the earth connection in the circuit.

The wiring diagram in detail is found here:
http://www.dbtc.co.uk/mediashare/8y/bw2 ... 6y-org.jpg

dbnewbieoh

Post by dbnewbieoh » Sun May 27, 2012 8:47 pm

Ok I started the tractor again today because I forgot which light was flashing. The red light stays on until after 1000 rpms and then goes out. Green light only on when I first start it.

I'm going to try to fill the gear box up and drive her tomorrow. I'll put a oil pressure gauge on her too soon.

Thanks guys !

dj

Post by dj » Sun May 27, 2012 9:55 pm

The red light stays on until after 1000 rpms and then goes out.
That means its charging ok.

Green light on when first starting then going out when running means oil pressure is probably OK.

Great.

If you really want to be sure, you could connect an oil pressure gauge to get the exact reading. Most DB owners wouldn't bother as long as the green light goes out.

What does the oil in the gearbox look like?
When they've been stood for a while, the gaiters around the gearlevers can perish, and allow water in to the gearbox. When this mixes with the oil, and the gears mush it up,it can look like Bailey's Irish Liqueur. If the oil's like that, it would be best to change the oil (10¾ US gall), and put in a new transmission oil filter. (Rather than just top it up)

I bet your filter looks like mine did:
http://www.dbtc.co.uk/index.php?name=PN ... pic&t=8495

Post by Guest » Sun May 27, 2012 10:10 pm

Just checked the wiring diagram and the oil light bulb holder is not earthed, apollogies for suggesting that it is. It is still worth checking the earth connecions though at the voltage regulater and the tank stand as a poor earth will affect the warning lamps and the rest of the electrics.

richbug

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Help need with David

Post by richbug » Sun May 27, 2012 10:47 pm

dj wrote:
I bet your filter looks like mine did:
Maybe we can have a worst filter contest.

1200, 900 projects, 780,

dbnewbieoh

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Help need with D

Post by dbnewbieoh » Mon May 28, 2012 8:34 pm

Ok I may sound like I'm stupid but were is the filler tube for the gearbox ?

Where is the plug located for draining the gearbox ?

Also how big is the gearbox filter and where is it located ?

What weight and type of oil should I use in the gearbox too ?

The power steering just uses standard power steering fluid
right ?

Thanks guys !