1390 fan belt problem

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

scatterbrain_19

Post by scatterbrain_19 » Tue May 15, 2012 9:11 pm

hi
I have a large selection of fan belts from when my dad used to do autojumbles. the only ting is all of them are referenced in ferodo no. if you were able to give me that no. or Raybestos i might be able to look for one,
Thanks

rjc

Post by rjc » Tue May 22, 2012 12:37 am

Started the job yesterday. The advice given by Cambs and backed by jimc was absolutely spot on. The rubber coupling sat back for me once the bolts were removed allowing space to get in. So you have saved me a heap of unnecessary effort. Many, many thanks for that. I mean it.
For anyone else who does this - take care getting the bolts all properly lined up when reattaching the coupler. If you pull it out of shape by not tightening them evenly you will finish up wasting as much time as I did (you don't want to know how much).
For the record, I didn't add on the extra belt because I could not see anywhere it could be "safely" attached when not in use. I am now thinking I will probably regret that some day.
The belt I used was AVX10 x 1175mm - perfect size plenty of adjustment. Got it from Mayhill Tractors on eBay.

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Tue May 22, 2012 10:48 am

You must be very careful putting second belts in as a back up
We had a bean harvester with a big air cooled deutz which was a massive operation to change the belts as there were 3 hydraulic pumps on the end of the engine which was air cooled and had a combination of three belts driving the alternator and fans
At the winter refurbishment the mechanic did exactly this carefully tieing an extra set of belts to replace the existing belts in an emergency
although for the life of me I dont know why as a set should have done a season but possibly he did not want the same task the next year
Driving along the A11 the alarms went off and the engine automatically shut down Luckily I was half on the verge anyway!
A cable tie had mysteriously come loose and this let the spare set come into contact with the working belts ripping them all off the pulleys
Thankfully a link belt was sufficent to get back to the workshop but took several hours of mayhem to sort

Post by Guest » Tue May 22, 2012 1:35 pm

I would never hang a spare belt on, no matter how it's tied back as at some stage they are more than likeley to come loose and if the fan blades take it up it will wrap up, bend or snap a blade and send it through the radiator, a fools fix that will end up costing more money just for the sake of idleness.

Post by Guest » Tue May 22, 2012 7:35 pm

Why not do the job properly in the first place? If you've got the time to replace the belt in the first place and keep an eye on the tention, like you should, then it should last for years. :roll:

jimc1390

Post by jimc1390 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:02 pm

every time ive done one a spare belt goes in, if someone has had one come loose i find that unlucky , when your on the side of the road couple of spanners you will be on your way very quickly, tim earlier in this post you recomended a link belt, thats all i have to say
db 990 selectamatic
case ih 1594 com ed
db 1390 gd90 loader

Post by Guest » Tue May 22, 2012 8:05 pm

No, not recommended, suggested.

broadsword

Post by broadsword » Tue May 22, 2012 8:29 pm

May I recommend or suggest when you have a DBTC Trusted Logo next to your name you perhaps need to clarify whether its a recommendation or a suggestion??.

Cheers

Andy

Madders

fanbelt

Post by Madders » Tue May 22, 2012 8:51 pm

sorry Tim

your wrong on this one.
Everybody with any sense has a spare over. never been a cock up yet and as already said...5 mins you're on your way. :roll:
[.................................[/size] Image

gerard

RE: fanbelt

Post by gerard » Tue May 22, 2012 10:37 pm

can remember our 1210 broke a van belt one day when we were at silage a quaified david brown mechanic came to fix it along with a few more bits and he put two belts on like was said above. u could get going quick if it happened again makes sense to me

jules

Post by jules » Wed May 23, 2012 2:39 am

Can't say I'm a fan of the tied on belt. If a belt is properly fitted and adjusted, by the time it fails the "spare" will have deteriorated due to age and will most likely need replacing sooner than would be the case if the failed belt had been replaced with a new one.

A link belt seems like a good option in an emergency when you can't take the time to do a normal replacement.

Surely this has to be largely a matter for personal preference rather than right or wrong anyway?

jules

jimc1390

Post by jimc1390 » Wed May 23, 2012 6:23 am

for the extra fiver (at the most) a spare belt will get you off the road and moving, hellish lot cheaper than a link belt , they do seem to last pretty well tied up in there, after all they are living in the same place just not having the luxury of going around some pulleys
db 990 selectamatic
case ih 1594 com ed
db 1390 gd90 loader

Post by Guest » Wed May 23, 2012 8:13 am

It seems from comments that there are conflicting thoughts on what is the right thing to do and the wrong thing to do and each have their preferences and own oppinions on the subject. I think that now it's up to the original poster to make up his own mind to do whatever he considers apropriate for him, I'm sure his mind has been made up, and leave it at that.