hunting pink or currant red

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Eric_T

Post by Eric_T » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:05 am

Gents, even today with improved methods, technologies, and the standards specifying a tighter tolerance that ever before, there is still a variation in shade.

Line up a row of brand new machinery, but with paints from different batches applied to them, there is often a difference.

Paint is more important to the enthusuasts now than it ever was to the manufacturers, as long as it was the same colour, and not far from the same shade that was ok.

Yes the tractor should have looked good when shining with its brand new paintwork, but it was there primerally to keep rust away.

I doubt that when busy producing tractors, then any more than now, that batches of paint were rejected because they were ever so slightly off colour to the original red, white, brown, yellow, green, blue etc etc...

:)

John_Allen

Post by John_Allen » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:47 am

While I agree with Eric, there is often shade variation in a particular "colour" of paint - it doesn't take much variation in pigment to change a shade! While some car makers' paint never varies, some change a lot! I sprayed a Cortina (a long time ago) and had five shade variations of the colour to choose from - and was told I was lucky, some were far worse!

That's why you should always buy enough paint to do the full machine (with a little to spare for touching in) - my 780 shows the proof of that (there are at least two different shades of Orchid and four or five of Chocolate on it!).

I was lucky with my first Golf and Passat - Mars Red and Tornado Red respectively. There were no "alternatives" when I bought from a proper supplier; however, the Passat ended up with a shade variation on one door when I bought some from a local car accessory shop - he mixed the colour for me and it was too dark. He blamed fade, but I bought some Halford's paint that was perfect!

Incidentally, VW Tornado Red does fade (apparently - mine didn't) and that wouldn't be a lead-related problem - the Passat was a 1996 car and lead wasn't in the paint then!

tdickson

Post by tdickson » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:36 pm

Hi gents. An interesting topic. Out of interest, how much paint is enough to do a whole machine, say for the 780?

Regards
TD
1967 David Brown 880A / 540113
1968 David Brown 880A / 550795

John_Allen

Post by John_Allen » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:14 pm

Hi TD, I suspect it depends on your spraying method. I use synthetic enamel and heat the paint (in a pan of boiling water!!) but don't thin it. It gives a really smooth and shiny finish that is a lot harder than thinned paint. A good painter can get a finish as good as 2-Pak - but I just get a good shiny finish!! I used about five litres for the white and slightly less of the brown on my 780. It's hard to say exactly as I didn't do the job in one go! One advantage of my method is that two good coats of paint is enough - the radiator filler flap is a neat fit now!

The wing was newly sprayed but hadn't been cut back or polished when the photo was taken:

EDIT: As usual, Cambs has posted while I have been writing! I wouldn't dare work out the primer - I used over two litres for the safety frame alone!

John_Allen

Post by John_Allen » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:01 pm

You don't need to boil the paint - just steal one of the wife's pans and her kettle, fill the kettle and turn it on, open the tin of paint. Put the paint tin in the pan and pour the boiling water into the pan (but don't let the paint tin float!). Sometimes you might need to boil another batch of water if the paint is still too think, but I usually manage to with just one kettle's worth. Keep stirring the paint until it is thin enough to spray easily, then fill the gun and blast away as soon as possible.

Make sure the spraying area is warm (ideally hot!) and the paint will often be touch dry within a couple of hours - ready for a second coat!

Leave it as long as you dare before doing the next stage (whatever that may be!) and it will get good and hard.

HINT: learn from my mistake and clean the pan before returning it :oops:

I "lost" a pan eventually - it saves a lot of cleaning!!

Madders

blah,blah.,blah.....

Post by Madders » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:07 am

Glenn, be told will you!!! Poppy is only used on exhausts and grilles on selectamatics. Hunting pink was used on Implematics...perhaps you won't listen until you walk into the museum/archive here in Meltham and pore over the documents??
Last edited by Madders on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
[.................................[/size] Image

RE: blah,blah.,blah.....

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:46 am

Actually Chris it was Poppy red that was the correct colour for the Selectamatic lower grille and enamel exhaust pipe. Taking this colour thing a little further, all Implematic and Selectamatic seat and backrest cushion covers were Poppy red with yellow piping only, the only chromed parts were the lower grille Dzuece fasteners and the radiator flap fastener and the likes of the hydraulic lever knob, hand throttle, steering wheel nut and washer were only chromed on a tractor that was specifically built for major shows for the launch of a model, all other 'bright' parts, like the wheel nuts were silver adonised and the nose cone louvre was gold adonised. Seat covers became black with the introduction of the Power red livery as did the exhaust pipe.

John_Allen

RE: blah,blah.,blah.....

Post by John_Allen » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:28 am

Wearing Moderator's hat:

Gentlemen, there have been complaints!

Please keep the discussions civil. I can't see a comment that suggests Glenn was intending to use Poppy Red on his Implematics and I don't want to lock what appears to be an interesting and popular discussion.

Hat off:

Sometimes I just wish Sir David had said "Any colour so long as it is black" (Henry Ford didn't actually say it!!)

Re: hunting pink or currant red

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:55 pm

eytonfarmer wrote:i have recently bought a 990 implematic (990/A/448083) and a 2 furrow plough (PC 2MA-10), i am currently stripping and rebuilding the plough now and will be starting the tractor in a couple of months. iam not bothered about the plough being the right colour but i want the tractor in the correct paint as i have seen quite a few implamatics in what i believe is the wrong red.

so could anyone give any ideas what coulour it should be as iam going to paint the plough to match the tractor.

another question can you date a plough with any of the numbers on the plate.

any info would be much appreciated
To refresh everyone of the original first post on this topic I suggest it be read again. All the original poster wished to know was should be the colour of the plough and the answer is, as he thought, the same as the tractor.

By the way John, there are around 14 shades of black. :wink:

John_Allen

RE: Re: hunting pink or currant red

Post by John_Allen » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:05 pm

Tim,

I am reminded of a lad that was at college with me in 1990 or so. He bought a 3-series BMW (cheap) and didn't like the colour (grey). He had a friend who resprayed it for £50 and provided the paint. The friend spent most of his time spraying taxis and used up old tins of black paint. The car had at least five shades of black on it - including one panel in satin finish!

broadsword

Post by broadsword » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:16 pm

Wearing Motor Traders Hat;

This colour thing baffles me - if its off shade, odd colours to different panels, different colours, looks like its been hand painted with a dead crow on the end of the stick mid way during a sand storm, its very simple....

....park it outside where the dirt and rain takes its toll, the mint ones go in the showroom with lots of polish on them.

Oh, sorry we`re on about DB`s, there was me applying my theory of supplying `pre-owned quality motors to satisfied customers` clouding my judgement again :roll:

There, thats lightened things up again :wink:

Cheers

Andy

stone1594

Post by stone1594 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:41 pm

well everybody im going to paint my 1965 990 implematic :D

wait for it :!:

hunting pink ready for malvern show i hope :lol:
cropmaster diesel
880 implematic 3cyl
990 implematic x2
880 selectamatic loader
990 selectamatic
995 2wd LP cab
996 4wd
1390 4wd
1390 4wd mudder
1394 4wd commerative
1494 4wd
1690 turbo
1694 4wd maggie
com edition 1594

jimc1390

Re: RE: blah,blah.,blah.....

Post by jimc1390 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:35 pm

cambs1594 wrote:If Glenn wishes to paint his tractors cherry red or currant red is HIS choice at the end of the day, this forum is here to offer advice and help, NOT to look down upon those who do not "conform" to others ideas! Madders, he is located on the other side of the world, so if he does paint it a colour you dont like, its not as if you have to look at it every day is it? Stop ranting and raving over pointless things and learn to bite your tongue and set an example, else this topic will end up locked like quite a few have been recently :evil: anyone else share these thoughts?
boooooom!!!!!!!!! :wink:
db 990 selectamatic
case ih 1594 com ed
db 1390 gd90 loader