hunting pink or currant red

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

eytonfarmer

hunting pink or currant red

Post by eytonfarmer » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:55 pm

i have recently bought a 990 implematic (990/A/448083) and a 2 furrow plough (PC 2MA-10), i am currently stripping and rebuilding the plough now and will be starting the tractor in a couple of months. iam not bothered about the plough being the right colour but i want the tractor in the correct paint as i have seen quite a few implamatics in what i believe is the wrong red.

so could anyone give any ideas what coulour it should be as iam going to paint the plough to match the tractor.

another question can you date a plough with any of the numbers on the plate.

any info would be much appreciated

RE: hunting pink or currant red

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:04 pm

The plough would be a medium bodied 2 furrow A series dating between 1954 to 1958. The correct colour for both tractor and plough is Hunting Pink. Currant red is the colour that was used on the 94 series tractors when they went from white to red in 1988. The majority of the Implematic and earlier tractors that look a darker red is usually due to them being, after a restoration, undercoated in a grey primer/undercoat and not enough coats of Hunting Pink on the top which has the effect of making the top coat look darker. I'ts the ones that don't know what Primrose Yellow is that gets me.

RE: hunting pink or currant red

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:57 pm

Well, whenever they changed, that's when Current Red was used.

Glenn

Post by Glenn » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:25 am

From 1939 to 1962 David Brown used a red paint he called Hunting Pink. This Colour is not pink!!! Hunting Pink is the name given to the jackets the Huntsmen and Women wear when on horseback. A poor fox trapped alive earlier is turned loose then a huge pack of hounds is turned loose to hunt the fox down. We could use some of those fellows here in Canada, might help with our coyote problem. I digress. Hunting Pink is actually British Standard 381C 538 and is called Cherry. At some point in 1962 David Brown ceased to use this paint and used British Standard 381C 539 called Currant Red. It is noted that the DB 900 ftom 1956 to 1962 used British Standard 381C 175 Light French Blue on the rims and wheel centres. The rest of the Implematic tractors from 1958 until 1965 had the rims and wheel centres painted British Standard 381C 310 Primrose Yellow.Hope this helps.

Glenn

nevilleporter

Post by nevilleporter » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:15 am

I prefer red 990s done in currant red, The colour codes at the top left of this page are fairly accurate. As for red 94 series colours no one seems to have a code for them, we worked out a mixture from the inside of a cab roof, the colour is probably somewhere between the modern CaseIH red and currant red.

Eric_T

Post by Eric_T » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:04 pm

Glenn wrote:From 1939 to 1962 David Brown used a red paint he called Hunting Pink. This Colour is not pink!!! Hunting Pink is the name given to the jackets the Huntsmen and Women wear when on horseback. A poor fox trapped alive earlier is turned loose then a huge pack of hounds is turned loose to hunt the fox down. We could use some of those fellows here in Canada, might help with our coyote problem. I digress. Hunting Pink is actually British Standard 381C 538 and is called Cherry. At some point in 1962 David Brown ceased to use this paint and used British Standard 381C 539 called Currant Red. It is noted that the DB 900 ftom 1956 to 1962 used British Standard 381C 175 Light French Blue on the rims and wheel centres. The rest of the Implematic tractors from 1958 until 1965 had the rims and wheel centres painted British Standard 381C 310 Primrose Yellow.Hope this helps.

Glenn
Well I never knew that, so are we saying that the official paint name for 990 and the Implematics is actually Currant Red, not Hunting Pink?

:)

6-POT-PHIL
Location: Huddersfield, W Yorks. (Home of David Brown Tractors)

Post by 6-POT-PHIL » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:42 pm

94 series went red in june 1985 john :wink:

Phil :)
1961 850 Implematic Ex DB test tractor (now sold)
1960 950 Implematic
1970 990 12 speed Selectamatic
1976 996 Loader tractor
1987 'E' 1594 4WD Hydra-Shift
1985 'C' 1694 4WD Hydra-Shift
ImageImage

Six in line sounds mighty fine!!

TEZB

Post by TEZB » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:18 pm

We had a new 1394 in about May 1985, and when we orded it we had the choice of weather we wanted a red one or a white one, we chose a white one as these carried a 2 year warrnty as opposed to 1 year on the red one's, I also liked the white colour better (proper DB colour).

JimCochrane

Post by JimCochrane » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:38 pm

Hunting pink was British post office red, this was confirmed by Bert Ashfield DB`s chief engineer

Madders

paint

Post by Madders » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:45 pm

we had this a couple of years ago....

The club chairman, present at the implematic launch etc etc stated catergorically that it is HUNTING PINK NOT CURRANT RED.

Let's not go down that lane again eh.

:roll:
[.................................[/size] Image

Glenn

Post by Glenn » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:48 pm

Hello Eric_T;
I'm saying that Cherry was used from 1939 until some point in
1963 when David Brown swithed to Currant Red. If you look at the colour swatches from British Standard BS 381C you will be hard pressed to tell the two colours apart. It appears David Brown called both colours Hunting Pink. If you have a tractor built in 1963 it could be a coin toss to settle the colour to use question. Unless someone has documentation of the production numbers discribing when the switch was made we may never know when it happened.

I hope to paint my 1965 880 Currant Red and our Cropmaster
Cherry. It might generate some interesting conversation at the tractor shows as to which colour is on which tractor.

Glenn

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:47 pm

Don't forget that back when these tractors were new, the paints then were also different and should not be compared in either BS number or in its makeup so accuracy in shade will always be open to debate. The BS number that the original would have been designated would be now obsolete and defunct as modern standards, with health and safetey, restrictions in the use of chemicals and additives that go into paint manufacure which totally changes the characteristics of the paint. The reason that the original paint became 'pink', was bcause of the lead content 'leaching' out due to UV and degrading the chemical makeup of the paint. Just because it says on the tin that the stated BS number is equivalent to the original number doesn't mean that the paint is the same as, it's just that, an equivalent.

Glenn

Post by Glenn » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:18 am

Powerrabbit I agree that paint over the past 50 years has been vastly improved. What I don't agree with is your statment that we should not compare the paint of today to the shades of the BS 318C Standard. Todays paint manufacturer with their electronic scanners and modern processes have a greater ability than ever before of reproducing any desired colour. The bonus is that the new paint should weather a lot better, provide much better metal protection and retain its colour for a longer period of time. If we don't use the BS 318 Standard to choose our colour shades to what should we refer?

Glenn

jules

Post by jules » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:58 am

"... when Sir David was asked what colour he wanted the tractor he threw his hunting coat over the bonnet and said "paint it that colour""

Forget BS 381C, clearly Sir David's technique is the only authentic way to specify one's painting requirements. Now where's that hunting jacket gone ....

jules

prblake

Post by prblake » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:59 am

I think the BS paint standards have been pretty consistent over the years.

I took the BS number down to my local auto paint shop here in Australia and they found it converted directly to Australian Standard R15. R15 is called by many names depending on who you buy it from but mostly known as Cherry Red.

Anyway I got them to mix some for me and I took it home and compared it to some original "hunting pink" I found under my 1949 Cropmaster and protected from the elements.

Guess what - perfect match!!

Paul