New Cropmaster owner - starter question

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

Please note the Forum Site is not managed by David Brown Tractor Club Ltd only hosted

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email callysmith95@outlook,com giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderator: admin

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Re: New Cropmaster owner - starter question

Post by cobbadog » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:29 pm

Your battery carier is the same design as mine and it is a 1954 model. I too like the patina on your tractor. It would not take much to adapt a dynamo if you felt it would help.

Chris Rand

Post by Chris Rand » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:30 pm

cobbadog wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:29 pm
Your battery carier is the same design as mine and it is a 1954 model. I too like the patina on your tractor. It would not take much to adapt a dynamo if you felt it would help.
Thanks Cobbadog thats useful to know 👍

db2d

Post by db2d » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:42 pm

Cobbadog—- The tractor is an early Cropmaster not a 30C . It was not equipped with electrics when it left the factory. The electrical systems available as an optional extra, were six volt with a gear driven dynamo and a small battery case. Fitting a conventional dynamo is not really a viable option due to the cooling system configuration

Chris Rand

Post by Chris Rand » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:05 pm

Hello db2d

Ok here is the starting handle - no idea if its right but its a perfect fit and length.

Also - your comment to cobbadog got me thinking, another thing that came with the tractor was a feed bag with an old magneto in it - so I think you're right its been changed over to the current coil & distributor at some point. Its only ever been on 1 farm in Scotland so I guess they had plenty of time over the years to 'improve' it!

All very interesting though - its certainly something I intend to keep.

Cheers
Chris
Attachments
IMG-20210722-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20210722-WA0004.jpg (246.72 KiB) Viewed 341 times

db2d

Post by db2d » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:20 pm

That is a DB handle supplied with later tractors and was intended for maintenance purposes rather than hand starting. The correct handle has a shorter crank making hand starting considerably easier.
Originally it would have had a magneto.

Chris Rand

Post by Chris Rand » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:54 pm

Then the sooner it gets relegated the better!!

Emergencies only hopefully...

Cheers

Valiant Farmer

Post by Valiant Farmer » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:44 am

My crank handle is off a Bedford J truck. Correct length, only a fraction large for going thru the grille.

Chris Rand

Post by Chris Rand » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:07 pm

Hello all,

A productive weekend with flywheel and starter now in place - thanks for all the advice, which was invaluable and it was a good weekend to be working under cover!

I've obtained a period looking starter button and a solenoid which I'll be hiding out of sight.

So its now just a case of wiring it all in, looking at others it appears to be the positive earth cable moves to a starter mounting bolt - is it straightforward solenoid wiring from that point on? Just conscious of the positive earth arrangements...

Thanks for the help guys - really appreciated.

Chris

Valiant Farmer

Post by Valiant Farmer » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:57 pm

This is the original starter solenoid - connected to a cable on the R/H side under the fuel tank.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282851918825?e ... Sw9qJafWc9

Of course, these are more readily available, and wire in to a push button - https://www.ebay.com/itm/274370059937?h ... SwLgNaaR6J

rid54

Post by rid54 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:09 pm

Generally, the wiring principles are fully the same irrespective of + or - earth system. The "not earth" wiring should be insulated and the chassis works as return path for the current. The only things that have to be considered are those that are involved with dynamo/regulator or an alternator, ast they tend to be a bit miffed if the polarity isn't correct.

db2d

Post by db2d » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:15 pm

The Cropmaster had a manually operated switch for the starter—not a solenoid. These are readily available and also from WWW.DAVIDBROWNPARTS.COM
Early starters had the switch incorporated on the front.

Chris Rand

Post by Chris Rand » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:59 pm

Thanks everyone - I'll forge ahead with the wiring and report back to (hopefully) close this one out.

Chris

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:34 am

Is your magneto a complete unit? If so it can be made work again providing your cap is in good condition.

philedge

Post by philedge » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:43 am

Chris Rand wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:59 pm
Thanks everyone - I'll forge ahead with the wiring and report back to (hopefully) close this one out.

Chris
Dont forget to include a fuse close to where you connect into the supply.
'66 880 Selectamatic rat.

Valiant Farmer

Post by Valiant Farmer » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:42 pm

db2d wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:15 pm
The Cropmaster had a manually operated switch for the starter—not a solenoid. These are readily available and also from WWW.DAVIDBROWNPARTS.COM
Early starters had the switch incorporated on the front.
Valiant Farmer wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:57 pm
This is the original starter solenoid - connected to a cable on the R/H side under the fuel tank.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282851918825?e ... Sw9qJafWc9

Of course, these are more readily available, and wire in to a push button - https://www.ebay.com/itm/274370059937?h ... SwLgNaaR6J
Sorry db2d, my 1st link - I meant to call it a start switch, as it is close to the original.