990 Selectamatic possibly major front frame problem

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

Please note the Forum Site is not managed by David Brown Tractor Club Ltd only hosted

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email callysmith95@outlook,com giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderator: admin

whybeare123

990 Selectamatic possibly major front frame problem

Post by whybeare123 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:45 pm

I have a case 990 that has a crack in the front frame just after the last number in the serial number on both sides. Both cracks have been welded before but are now broken again. I was wondering if someone had any ideas as to what I should do because currently we do not want to have to split the tractor to be able to fix the problem. And at least for now if there aren't any ideas if it would be ok to keep using the tractor the way that it is.

In case you are wondering NO these cracks were not caused by just using the tractor normally. They were most likely caused by either having a forklift on the front or because one time the tractor lost its brakes while going down hill and broke both front axles (YIKES). We do not use the forklift any more we just have it on because we don't have a way to take it off. Also the way that the frame for the forklift was put on the tractor it kinda helps reinforce the frame of the tractor.
Have a David Brown Case 990 Selectamatic that was converted into an orchard tractor and also into a forklift tractor

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Re: 990 Selectamatic possibly major front frame problem

Post by cobbadog » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:34 pm

Pictures help an awful lot but I would not use it as it is. No brakes doesnt cause cracks bit what happened after the no brakes might have. If the forklift is not required its time to remove it. Then source another frame from a wrecker/breaker and fix it properly. Last resort is to prepare the cracks properly for welding after the forklift is gone, have a professional do the welding up and then plate and bolt it.

whybeare123

Post by whybeare123 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:41 am

I looked at it again and its only cracked on the left side and the weld on the right side is still holding good. We would like to take the forklift off the front but currently we do not have a way to take it off, and also the way that the hydraulic system is set up with the forklift it makes it so you can only use the 3 point by moving the forklift. Sorry about not having pictures I'll take some pictures of it when I see the tractor again.
Have a David Brown Case 990 Selectamatic that was converted into an orchard tractor and also into a forklift tractor

whybeare123

Post by whybeare123 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:52 pm

Sorry I can't get a picture to upload, everything I try and to upload onto this site just keeps saying File to large.

Valiant Farmer

Post by Valiant Farmer » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:18 am

Hi there,
If you downsize the photo it will let you upload it.
Hope this helps!

Tractor Tom

Post by Tractor Tom » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:34 am

Open an online photo resize program from an internet search, reduce the size of the photo to about 600 x 600 and re-save to your computer file. Then upload.

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:51 pm

On the home page there is a section describing how to upload images to the forum and it is much the same on most other forums too.
You will be able to upload just fine once it is compressed. I use microsoft picture manager to shrink or compress. Some use a lower pixel setting on their phones so they dont have to compress and others email it to themselves and post and so on. Once you have done it a couple of times it becomes second nature and easy to do.