Parts List For 885 Brake Job

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

ScottUSA

Parts List For 885 Brake Job

Post by ScottUSA » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:57 pm

Once winter has set in the 885 will be getting new rear brakes. In attempt to plan ahead, I am looking for suggestions of what parts will likely be needed besides brake shoes. Things like gaskets, bearings or seals as they relate to the reduction boxes. Would also like comments as what should be inspected while the tractor is apart to prevent a future failure.

I have not searched for replacement shoes yet, are they an all new part, rebuilt rquiring a core return or a rivet you own type of deal?

db2d

Re: Parts List For 885 Brake Job

Post by db2d » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:18 pm

Contact. davidbrownparts.com They will supply all the parts required. The diff lock pedal must be very securely fastened down in the engaged position before removing the right hand reduction unit. New oil seals should be fitted in the rear axle, a special puller that can easily be made is required for this

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:39 am

If the puller that db2 is referring to is the same as the 30C tractor it is a couple of (1/4" ?) BSF bolts to wind out the axle seal retainer. when re assembling I used 2 seals and no retainer. Also fitted speedi-sleeves to ensure a good seal on the axles.

ScottUSA

Post by ScottUSA » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:57 pm

Is there anything else that should be inspected or adjusted while the reductions are off?

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:25 am

That will depend on how you remove the reduction box. I stripped mine apart before removing the housing by removing the big gear and shaft and then replacing the seals on the half shaft. To do this you will need a big "C" spanner to undo the lock ring nut to be able to remove the half shaft. The simpler way is to remove the lot in one piece using a made to measure cradle to support the heavy weight of the assembly as you will be removing the reduction section and the main axle housing altogether and it is heavy. The only real time you need to do what i did is if the seals are leaking or a bearing is gone.
Also have a look at the bottom of the brake drum section of the housing as there is a drain hole there and mine were blocked with dirt and grease which held the leaking oil inside and ruined my brake linings.
Not sure if you have ordered new shoes with linings already attached or not, but with my replacement brake linings they came with new rivets to attach the linings to the shoes. Trouble was that the 30C and Cropmaster models require a total of 8 extra long rivets to properly rivet the linings to the shoes. I could not buy them here in Australia but I was advised to make my own new rivets from aluminium rod. So I bought some 10mm rod and machined my own and they work perfectly. Other than the double seals on the main axle and using speedi-sleeves on the axle to prevent furhter leaks it is a straight forward exercise just ************ heavy work.

ScottUSA

Post by ScottUSA » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:24 pm

I may follow your lead and take the reductions apart as most every component I've opened up on this tractor so far has been in need of repair.

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:40 pm

Grab the top of each rear wheel and rock it in/out. If there's play the drives may need shimming.

Gard

Post by Gard » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:53 am

I have always had some leaking from the final drive so I ended up replacing all the seals in the final drive as well as the ones in the axle. All the bearings were good but I needed to remove shims from both the pinion and axle shaft to get correct preload. The local case dealer had all the 3 seals and 2 O-rings but not brake pads, they came from davidbrownparts with a bag of short and a bag of long rivets. I took photos as they were coming apart and ended up needing them.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:18 am

Stripping the reduction gears out requires small hands or lng fingers but mist of all a "C" spanner to undo and tighten it when putting it all back together. With patients and then a long bar to put on the "C" spanner to ensure it is tight, very tight but I am glad I have all that sorted.

ScottUSA

Post by ScottUSA » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:49 pm

Lofty, does the tractor need to be raised to perform the shake test?

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:05 pm

ScottUSA wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:49 pm
Lofty, does the tractor need to be raised to perform the shake test?
No.

Gard

Post by Gard » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:07 pm

On the early 990 there is a thin metal grease shield that is supposed to direct the grease past the outer axle seals, when I reassembled everything and added grease I could see it on the bearings but never did see any around the outside near the flange. So if I were doing this again I would see if I could replace that part also. Perhaps after driving it some grease will work its way out.