990 selectamatic deluxe seat problem

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER - Please be aware that any views expressed or advice given on the Forum are purely the opinion of the relevant poster. The David Brown Tractor Club Ltd does not endorse any of the views expressed, or advice thus given. Forum Visitors should be aware that any action they may take as a result of such information is taken at their own risk.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

travismikula

990 selectamatic deluxe seat problem

Post by travismikula » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:40 pm

Hi all,

The "deluxe" seat on my 990 that I just bought is not giving any suspension. It looks like at one time the nut must have fell off the adjusting screw and the weight of the driver just pushed the suspension down and bent that screw. The screw is un-usable but I could put another screw in there if I could get the original one out. I can't seem to get the seat up high enough to take the force off the screw. First off, is this seat thing even worth saving? Does it work well when it's working? Does it have torsion springs in it? I can't really see. Has anybody had to work on these and know how to take the force off the springs? Either way, there's no cushion so I'd have to buy those anyway.

I thought about taking the whole seat off and just putting on a generic aftermarket seat with suspension but it looks like I'd have to make an adapter plate or something because it doesn't look like I'b be able to bolt one on there. The aftermarket bases are too narrow from what I'm seeing.

Lofty

Re: 990 selectamatic deluxe seat problem

Post by Lofty » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:06 pm

I replaced the pan on mine and kept the sprung base. It works surprisingly well. There are two coil tension springs and a damper. Sounds like you will have to apply some force to stretch the springs so you can free the screw. Do you have a large friend? Be careful if unscrewing things with the springs loaded. Try this: http://www.messicks.com/cas/53667

travismikula

Post by travismikula » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:01 pm

I sure wish they'd have put a hex on the end of those shafts so a person can just put a socket and breaker bar on it to take tension off. I suppose there is an inherent safety problem there. Still trying to figure out how to get the tension off it. :roll:

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:20 pm

I’m now confused about the problem. Can you take a picture?

travismikula

Post by travismikula » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:06 pm

Here are some pictures of my seat. The adjusting screw is bent badly and cannot be used. I need to get that pressure off the screw so I can pull it out and put in a new one. I can't get the force off it.
IMG_3017.jpg
IMG_3017.jpg (93.9 KiB) Viewed 534 times
IMG_3019.JPG
IMG_3019.JPG (83.66 KiB) Viewed 534 times
]

tomryall

Post by tomryall » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:01 pm

Looks like the same design that is on a JD 720 I rebuilt about 10 years back,the parts are available from Steiners.I cant remember how I done it now but I know it was not too hard.
Last edited by tomryall on Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gard

Post by Gard » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:14 pm

I think those big rubber plugs work like torsion springs. On my tractor they had come disconnected from the steel due to rust and time. I tried looking for a good used one and the breaker said they are always shot on the tractors that come in and are thrown on the junk pile.
I ended up mounting a compact suspension P6086 and am happy with it, I posted some details a couple of months ago but unsure how to create a link.

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:53 pm

Ok that is a different seat from mine. Please disregard my advice.

travismikula

Post by travismikula » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:11 pm

Yeah, this is the "deluxe" seat I guess. It's not being very deluxe. I had to pry the seat up to where it is in the pictures. It falls down so that is't all resting on the base. No suspension at all. I just can't come up with a way to relieve the spring load so that I can get the original screw out and put a straight one in. I'd kinda like to keep this thing original but if I can't fix this suspension, I'll have to get an aftermarket one to fit on there somehow.

Gard

Post by Gard » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:58 pm

That is what I remember from mine also, there was a block of wood under it, so no suspension at all, once I got it apart I realized the rubber had failed, this might be the case for you, if so replacing the bolt will not fix it. My memory is not completely clear because it was over 20 years ago.

travismikula

Post by travismikula » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:27 pm

Oh, so that's just rubber in there? I thought there was some kind of torsion spring. If that's the case, the rubber is probably shot being 52 years old and all. I'll probably just have to come up with some other solution then. Thanks!

skyrydr2

Post by skyrydr2 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:21 am

On yours the rubber looks to be blown out . You will need to cut that adjusting rod and heat the trunion nuts that it passes through to remove it for replacement. Then you will need to find parts to repair/rebuild if possible.
Personally, I would make an adapter plate for something more comfy especially if It will be used for hay production! Your tukkus and back will thank you.

travismikula

Post by travismikula » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:49 pm

Yeah, as much as I think it would be cool to have it all original, I'm going to cut off the rivets holding the suspension onto the mounting plate with my angle grinder, and modify that plate to accept a generic seat with suspension. Thanks!