995 final drive leak

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

David995

995 final drive leak

Post by David995 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:28 pm

Hello everyone, I recently put in gear oil in my left final drive as it was basically empty (tractor has been sitting about a year during "restoration"). However, I now see why it was empty as yesterday, it got up to about 20 degrees Fahrenheit so I took it for a drive on the road, after getting back, I saw gear oil pouring out all over the wheel. After checking, it appears that the oil is coming from the breather on the bottom of the brake drum. I assume a seal has failed somewhere and I am wondering two things. What seal is going to be required to fix the issue, and should any others be replaced as a precautionary measure? And two, is this a big job to do? I don't have much experience with the rear end/final drive in this tractor so I don't want it to get out of hand. Any and all help/pointers would be much appreciated as always.

Gard

Re: 995 final drive leak

Post by Gard » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:40 pm

I don't know about the 995 but my 990 final drives leaked until I found the hidden grease nipple, in my case it leaked where the axle exits the final drive and then down the inside of the wheel center.

db2d

Post by db2d » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:30 pm

There is an oil seal behind the brake drum. To access this seal the reduction unit and brake drum have to be removed. The brake drum can be removed using the special DB puller or 1/2 inch BSF extracting bolts.There is a third option but that requires a complete strip down of the reduction unit. If the reduction unit is removed it is advisable to change the seals situated in the rear axle between the brake shoes. If the right hand reduction is to be removed the diff lock pedal has to be very securely fastened in the fully engaged position.
In what part of the world are you?

David995

Post by David995 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:12 pm

I am in the United States

db2d

Post by db2d » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:00 pm

The seals are readily available in this country. Try- davidbrownparts.com They post worldwide.

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:49 am

Hi David995,
I feel your pain. I am doing the brakes on our 30c as it too leaked oil from that area as well as from the reduction box. Seals are readily available here in Australia using SKF brand seals. When I removed the mail axle that holds the brake drum the area that the seal runs on was very much so damaged and a polish up with some wet n dry paper would not have solved that problem. So again using a SKF product I bought some speedi-sleeves to put in place for the new seals (yes seals) to run on. It was suggested that 2 seals can be fitted in this area by leaving out the seal holder on the inside (diff side) of the housing. The speedi-sleeve I bought is the widest one they make and is 3/4" (20mm) wide and suits the diameter of the axle which from memory is 1 3/4". Because the cost of new seals are cheap I also bought the seal that fits the stub axle from the reduction box. Total spend on seals here was under $50.00 and the sleeves were about the same for the pair.

Good luck with your repairs. I have been posting some pics of mine in this Forum under "30c brake repairs" or similar.